How to use Locksmith's in-app search bar to create a lock
Locksmith uses the idea of locks to restrict access to specific content in your store. You can granularly control which content is restricted by adding a lock to the applicable resource.
Use the search bar within Locksmith to place a lock on any content within your Shopify "Online Store". To use it, search for your resource by name:
Here are the types of resources that you are able to lock (and search for) from within Locksmith:
- Third party apps
- Any page that is not located inside of your Online Store
- Menus and menu links: Menu links are not directly searchable, but they can still be hidden from unauthorized access, as long as they point to one of the resource types in the list at the top of this page. In this case, just make sure the option to "Hide any links to this [resource] in your shop’s navigation menus" is turned on (under Settings) for the corresponding lock.
Simply press the link that appears right under the search bar:
Once you do that, you'll see the name of your shop show up as an option to lock:
If you are searching for something like a product or a collection (or something else that is definitely searchable), and it just isn't showing up, you may just need to switch up your search terms.
- Try using fewer (but more specific) search terms.
- Keep in mind that pasting in the URL of the item you are trying to search will not work in most cases, you will need to search by name.
If you've created something recently and it's not showing up, an update to Locksmith can help.
1. Open the Locksmith app and navigate to the "Help" page 2. Click on the "Update Locksmith" button:
3. When the green bar at the bottom of the screen disappears, the update is finished. This should only take a handful of seconds.
Locksmith also gives you the ability to create "Liquid locks". This can allow you to target nonstandard resources or groups of pages in your store with Locksmith locks that are otherwise not directly searchable. You can start a Liquid lock using the button directly above the search bar:
Our more in depth guide on that is here: